July 12 – August 2, 2015
For several weeks each summer, Brookhaven Lab welcomes members of the public to its site. We plan days that include visits to our facilities, opportunities to speak with our researchers, special activities for adults and children, and much more—and it’s all free!
Visit the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, where Brookhaven researchers probe structures as tiny as a billionth of a meter. Learn about scientists’ latest discoveries in innovative energy technologies. Be amazed by “Atoms, Molecules, Matter and More!”
Tour the National Synchrotron Light Source II, the world’s brightest synchrotron light source! Learn how scientists will illuminate the inner workings of batteries and seek answers to some of the nation’s toughest energy challenges. Be enlightened by the “Science Laser Light Spectacular.”
A fabulous day of hands-on family fun! Use the basic scientific method to explore magnets, mirrors, and more! Hop aboard a fire truck and learn all about the Laboratory’s protective services. Be mystified by the “The Mystery & History of Magic.”
Visit the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, a world-class particle accelerator where physicists recreate the conditions of the universe as they believe it existed microseconds after the Big Bang! Stump a physicist and meet “Einstein” alive.
* Facility tour appropriate for ages 10 and over.
FREE! No reservations needed.
- Gates open 10 a.m.—3 p.m. Last Facility visit begins at 3 p.m.
- All activities are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Visitors age 16 and over must bring a photo ID.
- Café open 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Gift Shop open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Handicapped accessible
- 1-1/2 miles north of LIE Exit 68
Maps & Directions to Brookhaven Lab
- Call (631) 344-2651
- Visit the Summer Sundays Facebook page to receive monthly updates.